New to Tradesoft: Risk Assessments and Method Statements
The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 is the main legislation covering health and safety in Great Britain. Employers are legally obliged ‘to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all their employees.’
Health and Safety Statistics
The Health and Safety Executive governing body’s summary of statistics for Great Britain 2016 revealed:
- 1.3 million workers suffering from a work-related illness (new or long standing) in 2015/16
- 144 fatal injuries to workers in 2015/16
- 0.6 million injuries to workers in 2015/16
- 4.8 billion was the annual cost of workplace injury in 2014/15
- 30.4 million working days lost due to work-related illness and non-fatal injuries in 2015/16
- 72,702 non-fatal injuries to employees reported by employers in 2015/16
Health and Safety Requirements
The health and Safety at Work Act therefore stipulates:
- The safe operation and maintenance of the working environment and plant systems
- The maintenance of safe access and egress to the workplace
- The safe use, handling and storing of dangerous substances
- The adequate training of staff to ensure health and safety
- The adequate welfare provisions for staff at work
If a business has five employees or more: employers must have a written record of their health and safety policy, revise this when necessary and consult and inform employees regarding these policies.
Tradesoft’s Health and Safety Feature
Tradesoft has now incorporated Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS) into the software.
A person can be assigned as the RAMS co-ordinator, this person builds a library of method statements and categorised risk assessments relevant to the type of work carried out by the organisations employees. This library is automatically stored and recorded and then the risks are assigned to relevant employees and projects/jobs (you can assign certain risks to certain employees – not everyone will encounter the same risks).
Staff cannot clock into the job until they have read and accepted the risks. At this stage the employee can also add any risks that are recognised on the day. At the end of the day before staff can clock out they have the option to add in any additional unexpected risks they experienced.
Protect your employees and your business with Tradesoft.
For more information on the RAMS feature of Tradesoft, other features and benefits then please contact us for a chat.